Crossing the Threshold: The Story of the Marriage Equality Movement
Dr Gráinne Healy (ed.)
Crossing the Threshold is the official history of the role played by the Marriage Equality organisation in leading the way for the successful passage of same-sex marriage in Ireland. It is a swansong from all those involved and an insightful confirmation of everything that has been achieved.
Crossing the Threshold is the official history of the role played by the Marriage Equality organisation in leading the way for the successful passage of same-sex marriage in Ireland. Featuring contributions from lead campaigners, their personal perspectives will inspire anyone with an interest in campaigning for social justice, anyone who volunteered, marched or canvased, or who wished to know how the drive for marriage equality played out over the previous decade.
Leading figures, including Katherine Zappone, Ann Louise Gilligan, Gráinne Healy, Brian Sheehan and Niall Crowley, broach everything from fundraising and political strategic support to personal efforts and sacrifices, giving a full understanding of the multi-faceted undertaking of running a campaign that continues as a shining example of what it means to strive for a socially progressive Ireland. Crossing the Threshold is the swansong of all those involved – an insightful confirmation of everything that has been achieved. Hear the voices of the campaigners and examine the details of the strategies adopted that changed Irish hearts and minds to say Yes to equality in the Marriage Referendum 2015.
Table of Contents
Preface ~ Ailbhe Smyth
Introduction ~ Gráinne Healy, Chair Marriage Equality, Editor
- Dr Katherine Zappone and Dr Ann Louise Gilligan – The Journey Towards Winning: Our Story
- Dr Gráinne Healy – Socio-Political Background to the Advent of Same-Sex Relationship Recognition in Ireland
- Moninne Griffith – From Little Acorns – Mobilising the Million in the Middle
- Niall Crowley – The Equality Authority and Same-Sex Marriage
- Andrew Hyland – The Making of a Movement – Communications and its Role in Marriage Equality
- Dr Ide O’Carroll – Across the Pond: Connections to Marriage Equality
- Justine Schönfeld-Quinn – Legal Mobilisation and the Movement for Marriage Equality in Ireland
- Anna McCarthy – Making Noize
- Oliva McEvoy – The National LGBT Federation and Marriage Equalitiy
- Ronan Farren – The Labour Party and Marriage Equality
- Ross Golden Bannon – Story of an LGBT Activist
- Kate Moynihan – LINC and Marriage Equality
- Anthony Kinahan – Marriage Equality Champion Volunteers
- Carol Armstrong – Leading the Marriage Equality Volunteers in HQ
- Darina Brennan – Raising Funds for Marriage Equality
- Denise Charlton – Our Families and Our Children for Marriage Equality
- Richard O’Leary – Faith in Marriage Equality and the Pilgrimage for Yes
- Orla Howard – Challenges of the Personal and the Political
- Linda Cullen – Making Short Films for Marriage Equality
- Brian Sheehan & Kieran Rose – GLEN and the Remarkable Journey to Marriage Equality
- Michael Barron – BeLonG To and Marriage Equality
- Laura Harmon – Working Together: The Student Movement and Marriage Equality
- Thalia Zepatos – Hands Across the Water: Freedom to Marry and Marriage Equality
About the Editor
Dr Gráinne Healy is co-founder of Marriage Equality, has been its chairwoman since 2008 and was a Co-director of the Yes Equality Campaign. She is a co-editor of Ireland Says Yes: The Inside Story of How the Vote for Marriage Equality Was Won (Brian Sheehan, Noel Whelan – Merrion Press, 2015).
There are no reviews yet.